After spending most of the last year working on systems, we make an abrupt left turn back into gameplay. Today’s topic: a dash mechanic. This ends up presenting some interesting problems, such as preventing the player from dashing too frequently, and making sure the dash isn’t so fast that it tunnels through obstacles. The stream also takes its obligatory detours into space exploration and some of the weird corners of art history.
- “The Power of Ten” - NASA rules for safety-critical software development: http://pixelscommander.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/P10.pdf
- Pascal’s Wager: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager
- Roko’s Basilisk, a modern twist on Pascal’s Wager: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LessWrong#Roko's_basilisk
- Dom’s friend created A Mortician’s Tale, a game about being a mortician: http://laundrybear.com/a-morticians-tale
- Sanic the Hedgehog: https://sanicsource.fandom.com/wiki/Sanic_Hegehog
- iPod Hi-Fi, a discard piece of Apple history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi
- The gross surrealist Mario painting that Jeff was talking about: https://i.imgur.com/ili5i.jpg